How people purchase homes has changed! Did you look online to find the info on the property you were looking at? Maybe you even knew more about the property than the agent! Read here how the way people are buying homes is changing and 5 tips to help you through that process:
5 Tips to Help In Your Home Search:
- Appraisals Have Changed – as the market has changed, it has become more important to get an appraiser who works and possibly lives in the area, so that they can give a true assessment of what the property is actually worth, however how an appraiser is chosen has changed. AMCs, or Appraisal Management Companies are now used to contract the appraiser in your area to appraise your property and your lender will be able to give detail on how this works, so find out from them.
- A Few Good Agents – find an agent who is looking out for your best interest and isn’t just throwing out offerings to you that are outdated or unnecessary (i.e. offering a comparative analysis report or to drive you around when you already know what you want, etc.) . Also make sure they know the market place and will put in an offer for you that will best position you for success in this competitive buying market.
- A Few Good Websites – once you’ve found an agent that you feel comfortable working with, go check out their website. Most agents have a section on their site where you can look up properties in the area. Start with the areas that you know you want to live in, then work your way out from those areas if necessary. When you’re done, Google the property in Google Maps and find the area it is in, then Google the schools in the area, etc. If you use the satellite view on maps, you will be able to zoom in and see a birds-eye view of what the area actually looks like as well.
- Get A Personalized Mortgage Consultant – most commonly referred to as Loan Officers, I phrased the term differently because you really want a “consultant” through the process who is going to find out what your long-term goals are and the best way to get there through the investment in your home. A good Mortgage Consultant will also have a team he works with (i.e. Real Estate Agents, Financial Advisers, etc.) the he/she can refer you to for different areas of your life to help you plan your future in the best way possible.
- Take a Walk – once you’ve narrowed the home, or even the area down, go take a walk around the area and see how you like it. Take a look at the house, feel what the weather is like, talk to the people in the area, and even check out a restaurant. In this way, you will get a feel for what it would be like to live there.
As always, if there is ever a way that we can help you in your search and purchase of a home, we are here to help and provide a consultative approach to your experience. We also do work with trusted partners from real estate agents to financial advisers and even insurance agents and are always happy to refer you to one of them when you contact us. Call us today at 800-311-6868. Happy Home Searching!
Author: Jeremiah Berry, Certified Mortgage Consultant